You can now sign up to participate in Spanish Fork City's water conservation program. Program participants will receive a free Rachio Smart Controller. Sign up for the smart controller program here.
WHAT IS THE SMART CONTROLLER PROJECT?
The goal of the Smart Controller Project is to reduce both the amount of water lost due to wind evaporation and the daily peak demands on the Pressurized Irrigation system.
About half the city is in a wind fan area, originating from Spanish Fork Canyon. Watering during high-wind periods (e.g., late at night/early in the morning) may cause you to lose a significant amount of the water that you are trying to apply. Therefore, less water will be wasted if watering takes place during the day when the wind is at its lowest.
During operational months, peak demands on the Pressurized Irrigation system are late at night and early in the morning (between 12 p.m. and 3 a.m.) -- which is when most people water their landscaping. Because of the night-time demand, the City typically has to run the pumps longer and more frequently. Distributing PI water usage more evenly over a 24-hour period optimizes the PI system and reduces the amount of time the pumps need to run, ultimately providing better water pressure to our residents at a lower cost.
To reduce the amount of water lost due to wind drift and evaporation loss, as well as decrease the peak demand, Spanish Fork City has created the Smart Controller Program. Participants in this program receive a free Rachio Smart Controller, which automatically manages their PI usage. For example, the controller adjusts run times based on weather and the types of landscaping on the property. Furthermore, program participants in the wind-fan area are encouraged to water during non-peak periods. Initial program results indicated that homes with a smart controller used, on average, 4,500 fewer gallons of water per month.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Schedule your appointment here.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT DURING THE INSTALLATION?
- The installation process will be easier for our technician if you do the following before your appointment:
- Locate your current sprinkler controller. They are commonly placed in basements, garages, or in enclosures in the yard.
- If possible, determine how many stations (zones) you currently have.
- Identify areas of your landscaping that may need special attention (special plants, dry areas, etc.).
- Know your WiFi network name and password.
- Download the Rachio App for your smartphone (Android | iPhone)
- By having Spanish Fork City staff do an on-site evaluation, each resident's landscaping will be evaluated to ensure maximum efficiency.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- The smart controller automatically manages your sprinkler system, and adjusts for weather.
- The smart controller helps prevent over and underwatering by adjusting runtimes based on weather and the types of landscaping on your property.
- You have complete control to override or raise the overall watering with a state of the art phone app.
- You can also monitor water usage in real time through the smartphone app. (Android | iPhone)
- Water conservation saves you money. A recent BYU study found that homes with a smart controller used, on average, 4,500 fewer gallons of water per month.
- Water conservation also keeps more water in our sources.
- Reduces peak demands on the PI water system, which increases PI water pressure citywide and reduces the wear and tear on pumping equipment.
WHAT WILL IT COST ME?
It is easy to sign up and participation is FREE, but there are a limited number of controllers left and availability is on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Must live in Spanish Fork City
- Must be on the pressurized irrigation system
- Must currently have an automatic sprinkler system with a controller.
- Must have a smartphone or computer.
- Must have wireless internet (WiFi) in the home.
- Free smart sprinkler controller.
- Free professional installation.
- Free sprinkler system app.
- Free training to use app.