Frequently Asked Questions

Development FAQs

When can I schedule a preconstruction meeting?

After DRC approval, fees have been paid, SWPPP submitted, and excavator has submitted a complete excavation application.

Who needs to attend a preconstruction meeting?

It is mandatory that the Contractor, excavator & electrician attend.

When can I get my plat/mylar recorded?

Plat/mylar can be recorded after DRC approval, fees are paid and bond is posted.

How much does it cost to get my mylar recorded?

For fees contact Utah County Recorder at 801-851-8000. Check needs to be made out to Utah County Recorder.

I have a mapping question.

If you want a printed map Spanish Fork City GIS department charges a fee. However to view the maps online please visit our mapping page.

How do I schedule a public works inspection?

Schedule with Shawn Jorgensen at 801-921-9883 or Louis Scharding 435-469-2472.

How do I schedule a testing? (density, concrete, asphalt, etc)

Call PEC at 385-290-0990.

How do I schedule a final inspection?

Call Shelley Hendrickson at 801-804-4592 or Jerri Ann Finch at 801-804-4558.

Who needs an excavation permit?

Spanish Fork City requires anyone (contractors, residents, etc.) that are performing work in the City's right-of-way or connecting onto a City utility to obtain a Spanish Fork City excavation permit. See our Excavation Permit page for more details.

How can I apply for an excavation permit?

When do I get my excavation deposit and/or inspection & testing deposit back?

Half of the excavation deposit will be released when the project passes final inspection. The remaining funds are retained through a one year warranty period. After a one year warranty inspection is conducted and passed the remaining deposit will be released. For inspection & testing deposits, if any funds remain after one year warranty inspection, those funds will be released.



What should I do about the storm water ponding in my backyard? Or, what will the City do?

After storms or snow melt, ponding in yards is normal and recedes once grass or vegetation has been established on the yard. Moving roof gutter downspout outlets to a new location will also help drastically. These issues are typically a civil matter between neighbors. If you need more assistance, please submit a new request at the Citizen Support Center.

Is the City going to do anything to stop the contractor/developer from creating dust?

The contractor/developer has a given number of days to clean or stop an issue with dust or track out. After that time is up, the City may issue a fine or stop any work to continue until the issues are resolved. If you happen to see these issues, please report it to the SWMP administrator at 801-804-4570.

Why are the SWPPP requirements different in Spanish Fork than another City I have built in?

Each city has their own ordinances for how they implement a SWPPP. Please see SWPPP Requirements.
If you cannot find the answer to your concern, please call the SWMP administrator at 801-804-4570.

Am I required to prepare a SWPPP for my project?

That will be determined by the SWMP administrator. For more information, please see SWPPP Requirements.
If you cannot find the answer to your concern, please call the SWMP administrator at 801-804-4570.

Storm water is pooling up around a storm water inlet and not draining. What should I do?

The storm water inlet may have a cover during construction. The cover can slow the drainage. Other reasons could be damage to the City storm water system. If you happen to see this, please report it to the SWMP administrator at 801-804-4570.

Traffic FAQs

Who do I call if I have an issue with a UDOT road or traffic signal?

Contact UDOT Region 3 at 801-227-8000.

Which roads are UDOT roads?

People are speeding in my neighborhood. What can the City do to help?

For speeding issues, please contact the Police Department at 801-804-4700. There are also traffic calming street modifications that may be considered for certain locations to promote pedestrian-friendly environments and reduce vehicular speeding in our Traffic Calming Toolbox

I need to request a stop sign or yield sign. Where do I do that?

You can request a stop or yield sign in our Citizen Support Center.

For more information regarding stop signs, check out our Stop Sign Fact Sheet.

Can the City install speed bumps on my street?

Though effective at slowing vehicles, the City does not employe speed bumps as a traffic calming measure because of the disadvatages that they present:

  • expensive to install and maintain
  • expensive to remove
  • interference with response time of emergency vehicles
  • increased wear on residential and commercial vehicles
  • reduced property values as prospective buyers reject homes near speed bumps
  • increased noise levels
  • increased gas consumption and reduced fuel efficiency

Why is the City installing so many roundabouts? Why don't they just install signals?

Engineering studies have shown that roundabouts are safer than traditional stop sign or signal-controlled intersections.
See our Roundabout Fact Sheet for more information.

What is a transportation impact fee and how is it calculated?

What are the traffic statistics for roads in the City?

Check out UDOT's Traffic Statistics page and the City Traffic Studies Map for information.

What is traffic calming and can it be installed on my street?

Traffic engineers will determine where traffic calming measures will be applied in the City. Decisions will be based on location, traffic volume in that area, accident reports, average vehicle speeds, etc. You can petition for traffic calming measures on your street by submitting a request in our Citizen Support Center. For more information on what traffic calming is visit our Traffic Calming Toolbox.

Do all traffic signals have vehicle detection?

Traffic signal detection is required at all new signal installations. Few existing signals lack this feature, and if necessary to maintain effective management of traffic, the traffic engineering department will have these upgraded. If you are experiencing issues with vehicle detection at a signal, let us know about it in our Citizen Support Center.

Development Engineering FAQs

What utilities exist on or near my property?

View the City's Full Interactive Map to view property info including utilities.

What will it take to get utilities to my property?

To see utilities currently at a property view the City's Full Interactive Map. 

Contact a licensed contractor, engineer or developer to get more information on costs and feasibility. If you have City Construction Standards or other utility questions, you can contact the Assistant City Engineer at 801-804-4552. For zoning, landscaping, development, or building questions, contact the City Planner at 801-804-4596.

Do I need to notify anyone if I need to dig in my yard?

Yes, always call Blue Stakes of Utah before digging. Call 811 or visit to submit a ticket. Blue Stakes will come out and mark where the utilities are located. Protect the marking during your project and carefully dig using hand tools within 2 feet of the markings.

When recording plat with Utah County do the CCR's, Articles of Incorporation, and Bylaws need to be submitted all at the same time?

For condominiums the CCR's need to be submitted with the plat when it is recorded. Other items can be submitted separately.

Septic tank questions and permit

Septic tanks are regulated by Utah County. All questions regarding them should be directed to Utah County at 801-851-8000.

I have water shares on my property I would like to sell or lease. Does the City buy water shares? Who can I talk to about this?

Contact Marlo Smith in Public Works at 801-804-4541.

What are impact fees and how much are they?

Impact fees are city fees primarily paid with a new building permit. Impact fees help pay for new infrastructure required to maintain a level of service due to new growth. See our Master Plans & Impact Fees page for more information.