Excavation Permits

Excavation Permits

The Development Engineering Division is responsible for receiving, processing, and issuing permits for any excavation, trenching and utility installation.

Who needs an excavation permit?  Spanish Fork City requires anyone (contractors, residents etc) that are performing work in the City's right-of-way or connecting onto a City utility to obtain a Spanish Fork City Excavation Permit.

What is the right-of-way? City roads including sidewalk, curb, gutter, planter, asphalt roadway, etc.

Who needs to apply for the permit?  The contractor or resident performing the work.


Certificate of Liability Insurance
Insurance certificates must read as follows: "Spanish Fork City, and Spanish Fork Cities' elected officials, appointed officials, employees, agents, volunteers and UDOT are listed on policies as additional insured's."

Utah Contractors License Number:
Acceptable license numbers: S410, S390, or E100


  • $150 application fee.
  • $2,000 performance deposit for sidewalk or asphalt cuts or removal. The City may require additional bond funds if the Assistant City Engineer determines that the scope of work exceeds the minimum bond.
  • $1,000 inspection/testing deposit is required.
Road fee factor for age of pavement per cut in the asphalt:
Age of PavementFee Factor
Less than one year 4 x the application fee 
1 to 3 years 3 x the application fee 
4 to 5 years 2 x the application fee 
 6 to 10 years 1 x the application fee 
Plus $3/lin ft for main line (concrete $50 if less than 50 lin ft)
*Potholes are considered a cut in the asphalt

Exceptions: A license fee or deposit may not be required by the City when the permittee is:
  1. A property owner performing a curb cut on his/her property
  2. A public utility company franchised in Spanish Fork City