Net Metering

Net Metering is a system used to bill customers that install solar panels and other forms of renewable energy generation onto their homes. If a customer generates more kilowatt-hours than they use it can be transferred onto the utility grid offsetting kilowatt-hours drawn from the utility during that solar year.

The Utah Municipal Power Agency (UMPA) contracted with a national electric rate company, Dave Berg Consulting, LLC, to study equitable ways to bill and credit net metering. For more information please see the Electric Cost of Service and Rate Study.

Other options to participate in Renewable Energy, including SharedSolar, can be found at


SharedSolar is Spanish Fork's newest program that allows customers to purchase blocks of solar power from our community solar farm. This is a great alternative to installing rooftop solar and proves to have a higher efficiency without the capital costs for the equipment on your home. Watch the video and check out for details about the SharedSolar program and other programs offered by Spanish Fork Power and Light.

Solar Panel Permit Application Submittal Requirements

Review Spanish Fork City Power Net Metering Standards

Applicants must use the "APPLY FOR A PERMIT" option in CitizenServe to apply for a Net Metering Permit. You'll be required to upload all plans, engineering, and the Net Metering Agreement within the permit application.  These documents are described below. Please note, the Net Metering Agreement must be signed by the homeowner on record with Utah County and the Spanish Fork City utility account.

  • Spanish Fork City Net Metering Agreement
  • Site Plan: Detailed site plan showing the location of the home, electrical meter panel, any back-fed sub-panelboards, and all PV system components on the property.
  • Mounting System: Provide  detailed  information  on the module mounting system and the weight of all components on the roof. The support manufacture specs must also specify the required support spacing based on the local wind and snow loads. Note whether the home roof rafters are engineered trusses or provide information on the type and size of the roof rafters if they are other than engineered trusses. Also note the type of the roof covering (shingles, metal or tile) and how many layers of the covering there are. If the racking system has integrated grounding/bonding, please also provide spec sheets showing such. All racking systems must be UL 2703 listed.
  • One-line Diagram: A detailed one-line diagram is required and must show the following: Type of PV system to be installed (a single inverter system with one or more strings of modules connected in series, a micro inverter system, or an AC module system). The exact number and layout of modules and how they are connected together  (in a series or in parallel), all wire types, all wire sizes, conduit types and sizes, detailed info on the grounding wiring and connections. The locations of all circuits and system components on or in the house, and the ratings of all fuses or breakers.  Also to include AC knife switch disconnect, production meter location and PV breaker location, connection tie in location and determine line or load side connection.
  • Electrical panel to be back-fed: Note which home electrical panel the PV system will backfeed and give the location and rating of that panel. Please provide pictures of the service panel with a picture of its interior label. Please also provide photos of labels of any sub-panel that will be backfed.
  • Module spec sheets: Provide the PV module (solar panels) spec sheets showing the modules' STC rated watts (Pmp), volts (Vmp ), amps (Imp), open circuit voltage (Voe), and short circuit current (lsc.). Modules must be listed UL 1703.
  • Inverter spec sheets: Provide the inverter manufacturer spec sheets showing the amount of watts and volts the inverter can safely handle, and also noting the inverter's max rated AC output amps and voltage. Utility tied inverters must be listed as "utility interactive" meeting UL 1741 and have ground fault protection.
  • Total array power: (This is not required for systems with microinverters) Provide the total amount of watts, amps, volts, open circuit voltage (Voc at the coldest possible outside temperature - see NEC 690 .7), and short circuit current that the array can produce.
  • System components: Provide information on the different types of components that will be used in the system and how they are to be installed. Also, show that all equipment is listed and rated for the type and amount of voltage (AC or DC) and the amount of current that it could be subjected to.
  • Engineering Letter regarding solar equipment added roof load capability.
  • Locations and type of signage, junction boxes, and flashing to be used.

**Some solar installers have started using cellular modern electric meters to monitor their installations. If you are planning to use a utility type meter for this purpose please amend the one line drawing to include a third electric meter socket to accommodate this meter.

Any items not submitted will slow down the process of review and be returned as incomplete.

Net Metering Questions

Does the City offer a 1 to 1 kWh credit?

Yes, the kWhs you produce are used to offset the kWh you consume before you are billed on the net kWhs.

If my solar system produces more kWh than I consume will I still have a power bill?

Yes, you will still be charged the power base rate because you are still connected to the City's power system. Please review the City's current power rates.

Do the excess kWhs I produce carry over to the next month?

Yes, the excess energy you produce will carry over from month to month until the solar season resets in February. Any credit at this point will be forfeited.

If I am producing my own power why am I still on the City's power system?

Most solar systems do not generate enough electricity to fully sustain a customer year round to be “off grid”. They also do not have batteries to supply power at night.

If the City’s power goes out will my power remain on?

Unless you have a battery backup for your solar system, when the power grid goes down you will be out of power.

How do I apply for net metering?

Applicants must use the "APPLY FOR A PERMIT" option in CitizenServe to apply for a Net Metering Permit. See the "Submittal Requirements" above for more details.

Why is the production number from my solar panels higher than the number on my utility bill?

The city uses bi-directional meters that track the flow to and from your system and the grid. The number on your utility bill is not your total kWh produced. This is because some of the kWh produced are consumed by your own needs. Only the kWh produced in excess of your needs make it to the city's grid. This is the number that is displayed on your bill.

Contact Jake Theurer, 801-804-4438, with any other questions you may have regarding net metering.