Being a Good Pet Neighbor
As a dog or cat owner you know the companionship, the loyalty and love, the pleasure and sheer fun that your dog or cat adds to your life. But there are many pet owners who do not realize that with every right goes a corresponding duty. Pet owners must consider their responsibilities toward neighbors and toward their communities. If they don't they are not "good dog and cat neighbors." Your pet does not have a sense of civic responsibility, so you have to think for him. Put yourself in your neighbors' place and try to imagine how your pet's habits affect them. It's up to you to train your pet early so that you will enjoy each other without spoiling the enjoyment of others.
The DO'S and DON'TS of Dog and Cat Ownership:
- teach your dog or cat to be obedient and well behaved.
- walk your dog on a leash and curb him when necessary.
- teach your dog or cat to stay in your yard.
- train your dog to stay quietly within his quarters while you are away.
- train your dog to walk quietly at heel on a loose leash.
- take your dog or cat to the veterinarian at least once a year for a checkup - a healthy dog or cat makes a good pet neighbor.
- license your dog with the City.
- let your dog or cat roam the neighborhood.
- let your dog bark excessively.
- let your dog or cat soil your neighbors shrubbery or lawn, or tear up any flower gardens.
- let your dog chase cars or bicycles.
- let your dog or cat frighten or bite the postman, milkman, or other service people.
- let your leashed dog lunge at or jump on passers-by.
Spanish Fork City code 6.04.070 states: It shall be unlawful for any animal to be at large at any time within the corporate limits of the city. The owner or custodian of any animal which is at large shall be in violation of this section, regardless of the precautions taken to prevent the escape of the animal and regardless of lack of knowledge of the offense at the time it occurs.
Please see Animal Ordinances 101.
What About Pets in a Disaster?
Click here to learn more.
South Utah Valley Animal Shelter
582 West 3000 North
Spanish Fork, UT 84660
Hours: Mon-Fri: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.