Do not use matches, lighters or other open flames.
Do not operate electrical switches, appliances or battery operated devices if natural gas leaks are suspected. This could create sparks that could ignite gas from broken lines.
If gas line breakage is suspected, shut off the gas at the meter. This should be done, however, only if there is a strong smell of natural gas or if you hear gas escaping.
Wear heavy shoes in all areas near broken glass or debris. Keep your head and face protected from falling debris.
Turn on a battery operated radio (if no gas leaks are found) or car radio to receive disaster instructions.
Do not use your telephone except in extreme emergency situations.
Home Electrical Circuits
Familiarize yourself and family with the location of the electrical breaker panel.
Turn off breakers for areas of concern.
Main breaker may be shut off if in doubt.
In cases of basement flooding:
Think before stepping in any water.
A shock hazard may exist even in an inch of water if an extension cord connection is on the floor.
If the electrical panel is upstairs, shut off all circuits.
If the electrical panel is in the basement, determine whether it can be reached on dry ground. If not refer to the next step.
Check your house electrical meter. If it is on your home there may be a main disconnect switch (breaker) next to it. If the meter is on an under- ground service, it may be in front of your home; but there should be a main breaker where the line enters the home. Shut it off!